John D. Gerhart Center for Philanthropy & Civic Engagement
Strengthen the culture and effectiveness of philanthropy in the Arab region.
Gerhart Center serves as the leading provider of knowledge and resources for strengthening philanthropic practice in the Arab region.
The Center is based at the American University in Cairo, and offers resources for the promotion of philanthropy and civic engagement in the Arab region. Our programs include:
· Knowledge Platforms: making widely available research, information, and best practice case studies to build stronger civil society, with a focus on foundations and other forms of social investing.
· Institutional Capacity Development: Strengthening philanthropy through building leadership capacity and providing tailored peer learning and support services to philanthropic institutions in the region.
· Corporate Sustainability Capacity Building: Promoting and applying the principles of Corporate Sustainability Management to enhance effective social responsibility in the private sector.
· Muslim Philanthropy Digital Library: Making widely available a repository of the world’s knowledge on all forms of philanthropy in Muslim-majority communities.
· Arab Encyclopedia on Philanthropy: on-line resource featuring Arabic translations of key international documents to guide effective grant-making, corporate philanthropy, and more impactful institutional giving.
· The Ma‘an Alliance: a network of Arab universities whose presidents and faculty are committed to making civic engagement a core institutional value.
· Community Based Learning at AUC: encouraging effective teaching across the academic curriculum though experiential learning in Cairo communities
· Student Leaders for Service: Empowing undergraduate students expand their skills in leadership and strategic philanthropy, while encouraging greater civic engagement at AUC.
Our Facebook page promotes significant social initiatives in the Arab region by connecting people, skills, and funding to build a better future. Recent days have seen an unprecedented surge of creative ideas and projects from all quarters, especially those initiated by young people in the 'spirit of Tahrir'. The unique social solidarity that flowered across Egypt, Tunisia and elsewhere is establishing volunteer information centers, neighborhood clean-up crews, convoys of aid to refugees at the Libyan border, and many other important responses. This is a space where you can post imaginative, impactful project ideas to share with and connect with others.
The Gerhart Center, in alignment with its vision and mission, supports strategic giving and civic innovation to build just, open and equitable societies in the Arab region.